Source: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India has conceptualized a Global Housing Technology Challenge – India (GHTC- India) which aims to identify and mainstream a basket of innovative technologies from across the globe that are sustainable and disaster-resilient. Such technologies would be cost-effective, speedier and ensure a higher quality of construction of houses, meeting diverse geo-climatic conditions and desired functional needs.
- It seeks to obtain the best available innovative construction technologies from across the globe through a unique competitive process.
- It aims to transform the eco-system of the housing construction sector in the country through lighthouse projects built using advanced proven technologies.
- It will foster the development of domestic technological research, and building platforms for knowledge sharing and networking across the sector.
- The GHTC-India platform aspires to provide an eco-system for the adoption of innovative technologies in the housing construction sector in a holistic manner.
- Lighthouse projects are envisaged that will be built using these innovative technologies and further support will be provided to upcoming domestic technologies to foster an environment of research and development.
- Conceptualised through extensive consultations with various stakeholders, GHTC-India leverages the scale and successes of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) and its Technology Sub-Mission.
- It furthers the transformative vision of the government in technological advances to rapidly deliver low-cost housing that meets stringent environmental, societal, quality and economic standards.
- To enable a technology transition, GHTC-India will encourage participation from across the affordable urban housing and construction sectors, such as technology providers, researchers, start-ups, developers, academia, public sector agencies, and civil society organizations.
Components of GHTC
- Construction Technology India-2019 Expo- Cum- Conference: A grand event for innovative technology promotion that facilitates the exchange of knowledge and business and forming potential partnerships.
- Proven Demonstrable technologies: Empanelling appropriate established technologies from across the globe, and inducting them in the Indian market through lighthouse projects.
- Potential Future Technologies: Establishment of Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators India (ASHA-India) for Indian technologies which have potential but not market-ready yet. These technologies will be provided required support for development through Incubation Centres or field level application through Accelerator Workshops.