Recently, the Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has been nominated by the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI) as a member of the GAVI Board
- According to the Ministry, Dr. Vardhan will be representing the South East Area Regional Office (SEARO)/ Western Pacific Regional Office (WPRO) constituency on the GAVI Board.
- The seat is currently held by Myint Htwe of Myanmar.
- Dr. Vardhan will be representing India from January 1, 2021 till December 31, 2023.
About GAVI Board
- The Board is responsible for strategic direction and policymaking, oversees the operations of the Vaccine Alliance and monitors programme implementation.
- With membership drawn from a range of partner organisations, as well as experts from the private sector, the Board provides a forum for balanced strategic decision making, innovation and partner collaboration.
- The board normally meets twice a year in June and November-December and holds an annual retreat, generally in March or April
About Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI)
- Started in 2000, the GAVI Alliance (formerly the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation) is a global health partnership of public and private sector organizations dedicated to “immunisation for all”.
- It is based in Geneva, Switzerland
- It provides a unique opportunity for a wide-range of partners to build consensus around policies, strategies, and priorities and to recommend responsibility of implementation to the partner with the most experience and insight in the area.
- GAVI has developed innovative approaches to international health and development.
- GAVI has observer status at the World Health Assembly
GAVI brings together the following
- GAVI’s strategy supports its mission to save children’s lives and protect people’s health by increasing access to immunisation in poor countries.
- It contributes to achieving the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals by focusing on performance, outcomes and results.
- Its partners provide funding for vaccines and intellectual resources for care advancement.
- They contribute, also, to strengthening the capacity of the health system to deliver immunization and other health services in a sustainable manner.