In news–The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) along with 13 companies across all industry sectors have launched the global Alliance for Industry Decarbonisation recently.
About the alliance-
- The Alliance was created to achieve country-specific net-zero goals faster, encourage action for decarbonizing industrial value chains, and enhance understanding and adoption of renewables-based solutions by industry.
- It will also strengthen dialogue and coordinate action by public and private sector industrial stakeholders.
- Members of the Alliance also include Indian companies such as JSW, Tata Steel, etc.
- Membership is open to public and private firms, energy-intensive sectors aiming to decarbonize their value chains, and companies that have knowledge and expertise in the deployment of energy transition technologies
- The first Alliance meeting is planned to take place at COP27 in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
About International Renewable Energy Agency(IRENA)-
- The IRENA is an intergovernmental organisation that supports countries in their transition to a sustainable energy future, and serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a centre of excellence, and a repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy.
- IRENA promotes the widespread adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy, including bioenergy, geothermal, hydropower, ocean, solar and wind energy.
- With a mandate from countries around the world, IRENA encourages governments to adopt enabling policies for renewable energy investments, provides practical tools.
- In line with these aims, IRENA provides a wide range of products and services, including:
- Annual reviews of renewable energy employment.
- Renewable energy capacity statistics.
- Renewable energy cost studies.
- Renewables Readiness Assessments, conducted in partnership with governments and regional organisations, to help boost renewable energy development on a country by country basis.
- The Global Atlas, which maps resource potential by source and by location.
- Renewable energy benefits studies.
- REmap, a roadmap to double renewable energy use worldwide by 2030.
- Renewable energy technology briefs.
- Facilitation of regional renewable energy planning.
- Renewable energy project development tools like the Project Navigator, the Sustainable Energy Marketplace and the IRENA/ADFD Project Facility.
- With more than 180 countries actively engaged, IRENA promotes renewable resources and technologies as the key to a sustainable future and helps countries achieve their renewable energy potential.