In news- Recently the Ministry of Ayush has clarified that Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) herb is safe to use but similar looking plants in circulation such as Tinospora crispa can be harmful. The Ministry had recently noticed safety concerns on use of Guduchi that were published in social media and in some scientific journals.
- Giloy is a climbing shrub and an essential herb in Ayurvedic medicine.
- All its parts are thought to have health benefits.
- It has been used to treat a wide range of issues, including fever, infections, diarrhoea and diabetes.
- It has got many hepato-protective (prevent damage to liver) properties.
- The Ministry has a well-established system of Pharmacovigilance (for reporting of suspected adverse drug reactions from Ayush medication).
- It is reiterated that Guduchi is safe and effective but it is advisable to use it in consultation with a qualified, registered Ayush physician.