In news– A consignment of Dahanu Gholvad Sapota from Palghar district of Maharashtra was recently shipped to the United Kingdom.
About the fruit-
- Geographical Indication (GI) certification of Gholvad Sapota is held by Maharashtra Rajya Chikoo Utpadak Sangh.
- The fruit is known for its sweet and unique taste which is believed to be derived from calcium rich soil of Gholvad village.
- The Dahanu Gholvad Sapota were sorted and graded from the APEDA assisted and registered packhouse facility at Tapi (Gujarat) and was exported by M/s Kay Bee exports.
- Currently, demand in the importing countries is mainly from the ethnic population.
- Sapota is grown in states of Karnataka, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.
- Karnataka is known to be the highest grower of the fruit, followed by Maharashtra.