Celebrations of the Ganga Utsav 2020 started on 2nd November, 2020 virtually.
- Ganga Utsav is being organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga and the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The Ganga Utsav is being celebrated and observed in the light of the 12th anniversary of declaring River Ganges as a National river.
- River Ganges was declared as a National river in 2008.
- The three-day festival aims to promote stakeholder engagement and ensure public participation.
- It celebrates mystical river Ganga through storytelling, folklores, dialogues with eminent personalities, quizzes, displaying traditional art forms, dance and music performance by renowned artists, exhibitions etc…
- As a part of the celebration, the Ganga Task Force conducted afforestation drives with NCC cadets.
- Swachhata Abhiyans, plantation drives, drawing & painting competitions and quiz competitions were conducted across the country.
- At Varanasi a Ganga Cleanliness Campaign and Ganga Shapath was organised along with a ‘Walk for Ganga’.