In News:NITI Aayog vision for Great Nicobar ignores tribal, ecological concerns. Wildlife Board denotifies Galathea bay sanctuary to build a port, trade zone.
About Galathea National Park
- Galathea National Park is a National Park located in the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India.
- It is located on the island of Great Nicobar in the Nicobar Islands.
- The total area of this park is some 110 square kilometres, and it was gazetted as a National Park of India in 1992.
- Galathea forms part of what has been designated as the Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve, which also includes the larger Campbell Bay National Park, separated from Galathea by a 12-km forest buffer zone.
- The Galathea National Park comprises the core area of the southern part of the Biosphere Reserve in Great Nicobar Island and consists of lowland forests which have the greatest abundance of endemic avifauna.
- It is the prime nesting habitat of the Nicobar Megapode and possibly the area of other endemic species too.
- Flora:Tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests.
- Fauna: Notable animal species giant robber crab, Megapode and Nicobar pigeon.