Source: Press Information Bureau
A Gaganyaan National Advisory Council has been created with members from different institutions and industries
Composition of of the council
- Secretaries of Department of Space, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Defence Research and Development, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Principal Scientific Advisor to PM
- Senior Officials from Armed Forces
- Indian Coast Guard
- Former Chairman of ISRO
- Member of Space Commission
- Former Director of Aeronautical Development Agency
- Former Indian Astronaut
- Directors of Premier Academic and Research Institutions and
- Heads of various Indian Industries
About Gaganyaan programme
- The Gaganyaan programme, an indigenous mission that would take Indian astronauts to space
- Gaganyaan is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft that is intended to send 3 astronauts to space for a minimum of seven days by 2022, as part of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme.
- The spacecraft, which is being developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro), consists of a service module and a crew module, collectively known as the Orbital Module.
- It will be for the first time that India will launch its manned mission to space, making the country fourth in line to have sent a human into space.
- Isro’s Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle GSLV Mk III, the three-stage heavy-lift launch vehicle, will be used to launch Gaganyaan as it has the necessary payload capability.
- The launcher uses two S200 solid rocket boosters to provide the huge amount of thrust required for lift off