In news- Recently, India has joined the G20 ‘Troika to work closely with Indonesia and Italy.
About G20 ‘Troika-
- Troika refers to the top grouping within the G20 that consists of the current, previous and the incoming presidencies — Indonesia, Italy and India.
- As a Troika member, India will work closely with Indonesia and Italy to ensure consistency and continuity of the G20’s agenda.
- Italy hosted the G20 summit during October 30-31 2021. This summit focused on three broad, interconnected pillars of action: People, Planet, Prosperity.
- Indonesia took over the G20 presidency on December 1.
- It will convene the G20 Leaders’ Summit scheduled for October 30-31, 2022 with the theme of ‘Recover Together Recover Stronger’.
- India will assume the G20 presidency on December 1, 2022 from Indonesia, and will convene the G20 Leaders’ Summit for the first time in India in 2023.
About Group of Twenty (G20)-
- It is the international forum that brings together the world’s major economies.
- Its members account for more than 80% of world GDP, 75% of global trade and 60% of the population of the planet.
- It is made up of 19 countries and the European Union.
- The 19 countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the UK, and the US.
- India has been a member of the G20 since its inception in 1999.
- The forum has met every year since 1999 and since 2008, including a yearly Summit, with the participation of the respective Heads of State and Government.
- In addition to the Summit, ministerial meetings, Sherpa meetings (in charge of carrying out negotiations and building consensus among Leaders), working groups and special events are organized throughout the year.