More than 35 new, attractive, immunity-boosting tribal products have found a new home in Tribes India outlets and website in the 8th edition of “From Our Home to your Home”’ campaign
About the campaign
The campaign had been launched 8 weeks back by TRIFED under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs in order to source as many effective, natural, and attractive products from diverse indigenous tribes across the country so that these can reach a wide variety of audience.
Key among the products this week are the natural, fresh, organic produce from the Malayali tribes of Tamil Nadu, such as Giant Rock Bee Honey, honey, variants of millet rice, tamarind and black pepper.
Among the other products sourced include vibrant and eye-catching micro-beaded jewelry (mainly neckpieces) from the Patelia tribe from Madhya Pradesh.
Other products include organic varieties of dals and spices locally sourced from the Vasava tribes of Gujarat and an assortment of produce – such as honey, jams and two unique variants of rice from the Kharwar and Oraon tribes of Jharkhand and some interesting wooden products (chakla and belan) and attractive metal jalis from the AdimJanjati tribes and Lohra tribes of Jharkhand.
Malayali is a tribal group
- Malayali is a tribal group from the Eastern Ghats in North Tamil Nadu. With a population of around 3,58,000 people they are the largest Scheduled tribes in that region.
- The tribals are usually hill farmers and they cultivate different types of millet.
- The name derives from malai-alam meaning “hill-place,” denoting an inhabitant of the hills.
- Patelia is a scheduled tribe.
- They are found in the Indian states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and some parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka
- Madhya Pradesh has the largest Tribal population of all the states
- TRIFED was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India.
- It was formed with the main objective of institutionalising the trade of Minor forest products(MFP) and to provide the tribals of India a fair price for the surplus agricultural products produced by them.
- It is a national level cooperative body under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- TRIFED is mandated to ringing about socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalising the trade of Minor Forest Produce & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.
- It plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider, empowering them with knowledge and tools to better their operations in a systematic, scientific manner and also assist them in developing their marketing approach
- The organization is involved actively in capacity building of the tribal people through sensitisation and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- It is engaged in training the tribals in several activities, so that they can effectively carry them out.
- It also helps them in exploring and creating opportunities to market the developed products in national and international markets on a sustainable basis.
- TRIBES India is the brand under which the sourced handcrafted products from the tribal people are sold.
Programs of TRIFED
- Non Timber Forest Produces
- Retail Marketing
- PM Van Dhan Yojana
- Corporate affairs Division
- Research & Development