Source: Press Information Bureau
To create trade-related infrastructure to facilitate the import and export of goods and services with freedom to carry out trade transactions in free currency
- The scheme envisages creation of world-class infrastructure for warehousing of various products, state-of-the-art equipment, transportation and handling facilities, commercial office-space, water, power, communications and connectivity, with one-stop clearance of import and export formality, to support the integrated Zones as ‘international trading hubs’.
- These Zones would be established in areas proximate to seaports, airports or dry ports so as to offer easy access by rail and road.
- The scheme envisages duty free import of all goods (except prohibited items, arms and ammunitions, hazardous wastes and SCOMET items) for ware housing. As far as bond towards customs duty on import is concerned, the units would be subject to similar provisions as are applicable to units in SEZs.
- Packing or re-packing without processing, and labeling as per customer or marketing requirements could be undertaken within the FTWZ
- The maximum period that goods shall be permitted to be warehoused within the FTWZ will be two years, after which they shall necessarily have to be re-exported or sold in the DTA(Domestic Tariff Area).
- The Free Trade & Warehousing Zones (FTWZ) shall be a special category of Special Economic Zones with a focus on trading and warehousing.
Free Trade and Warehousing Zones SEZs in India
There are 8 approved Free Trade and Warehousing Zones (FTWZs) in India. Out of eight FTWZs, four have been notified. Out of 4 notified FTWZs, 3 are operational. They are;
|SL No.||Name of the developer||location||SEZ status|
|1||Arshiya International Limited||Taluka Panvel, District Raigad, Maharashtra||Notified/Operational|
|2||J. Matadee Free Trade Zone Private Limited||Sriperumbudur Taluk, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu||Notified/Operational|
|3||Arshiya Northern FTWZ Limited||Moujpur, Bulandshar, Uttar Pradesh||Notified/Operational|
|4||Arshiya International Ltd.||Taluka & District Nagpur, Maharashtra||Notified|
|5||Lepakshi Knowledge Hub Private Limited||Chillamaturu Mandal, Ananthapur District, Andhra Pradesh||Formal Approval|
|6||ISPRL FTWZ Padur (Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Ltd.)||Padur, Karnataka||Formal Approval|
|7||Cochin Port Trust||Thoppumpady Rameswaram Village, Cochin, Kerala||Formal Approval|
|8||Venkatesh Coke & Power Ltd.||Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvalur District, Tamil Nadu||Formal Approval|