In news- Chief Election Commissioner of India who is also current Chairman of FEMBoSA inaugurated the 11th Annual meeting of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of SouthAsia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2021.
Key updates on the meeting-
- The meeting in Virtual mode was hosted by the Election Commission of Bhutan.
- Alongwith India, delegations from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka participated in the day-long meeting.
- During the meeting, the Indian CEC as the outgoing Chair of FEMBoSA, virtually handed over the Chairmanship of FEMBoSA to Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan for the year 2021-22.
- The theme of the 11th meeting was ‘Use of Technology in Elections’.
- During the meeting, a Thimphu Resolution was unanimously adopted by the FEMBoSA members to extend the tenure of chairmanship to two years during the current pandemic situation.
- The resolution document noted the commendable efforts put in by ECI and India International Institute of Democracy & Election Management (IIIDEM) in capacity development of members from FEMBoSA.
- IIIDEM and ECI would continue to organise customised programs for the needs of member countries with mutual cooperation and support.
- FEMBoSA is a regional association Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of SAARC Countries.
- It was established at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of SAARC Countries held at New Delhi in May, 2012.
- FEMBoSA represents a very large part of the democratic world and is an active regional cooperation association of Election Management Bodies.
- Its logo with golden pearls stands for the eternal values of transparency, impartiality, democracy and cooperation.
- The forum promotes contact among the Election Management Bodies of SAARC countries
- Members: Besides ECI, the other 7 members are EMBs from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
India International Institute of Democracy & Election Management(IIIDEM)-
- ECI established the IIIDEM in June 2011.
- The establishment of IIIDEMstems from the realization of modern India’s founding fathers and constitution architects that free, fair credible and professionally managed elections form the bedrock of a vibrant democracy.
- The Institute is an instrument for the ECI to continually keep its tools of election management and democracy sharp, ready, and up-to-date.
- Presently, the IIIDEM is housed in the premises of the ECI.