- Objective: To engage motivated individuals with the food safety ecosystem at ground level.
- Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Implementing agency: FSSAI
- FSM is an individual professional certified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) who assists in compliances related to FSS Act, Rules & Regulations.
- The FSMs would undergo training and certification by FSSAI to do their work and get paid by food businesses for their services.
- The food safety Mitra will have three avatars- Digital Mitra, Trainer Mitra and Hygiene Mitra depending upon their respective roles and responsibilities.
- The ‘Food Safety Mitra (FSM)’ scheme will support small and medium scale food businesses to comply with the food safety laws and facilitate licensing and registration, hygiene ratings and training.
- Apart from strengthening food safety, this scheme would also create new employment opportunities for youth, particularly with food and nutrition backgrounds.