Source: PIB & Economic Times
Recently Indian Airforce Chief has formally inducted the light utility aircraft Dornier into the No. 41 ‘Otters’ Squadron
The IAF in 2015 had signed a contract to purchase 14 Dornier aircraft, which are flight inspection system planes, for Rs 1,090 crore from state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
About Dornier 228
- It is a multi-purpose, fuel-efficient, rugged, lightweight twin-turboprop aircraft with a retractable tricycle landing gear
- It has been developed specifically to meet the manifold requirements of utility and commuter transport, third level services and air-taxi operations, coast guard duties and maritime surveillance.
- The cockpit is designed to accommodate two crew members and is fitted with duplicate controls.
- The cabin can accommodate 19 passengers in the commuter configuration.
- This aircraft has been exported to Seychelles and Mauritius.