In news- Recently, the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways called for the manufacturing of Flex Fuel Vehicles (FFV) and Flex Fuel Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicles (FFV-SHEV) complying with BS-6 Norms.
About Flex fuel vehicles(FFV)-
- FFV is also called a dual-fuel vehicle is an alternative fuel vehicle with an internal combustion engine designed to run on more than one fuel, usually gasoline blended with either ethanol or methanol fuel, and both fuels are stored in the same common tank.
- The FFV are capable to run on a combination of 100% petrol or 100% bio-ethanol and their blends, along with strong hybrid electric technology in case of FFV-SHEVs
- They are distinguished from bi-fuel vehicles, where two fuels are stored in separate tanks and the engine runs on one fuel at a time, for example, compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), or hydrogen.
- In order to accelerate the introduction of Flex Fuel vehicles, the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme has included automobile & auto components and auto components of flex fuel engines.
- NITI Aayog, after acknowledging the strong foundation for the Ethanol blending programme (EBP), has formulated the road map for Ethanol blending for the period 2020-2025.
Extra reading- https://journalsofindia.com/ethanol-blending-2/