Srinivasa Murthy based in Bengaluru has been appointed as Honorary Consul General of Vietnam for Karnataka and first in India.
- Srinivasa Murthy is the first honorary consul general of Vietnam from India and the 19th across the world.
- He is the third Consul General to be appointed globally this year.
- The appointment is for a period of three years.
- It is the aim of five year long journey of the Vietnamese embassy to look for a genuine and worthy honorary consul in Bengaluru with the jurisdiction for Karnataka,
- NS Murthy is the owner and Managing partner of N. K. Subbiah Setty & Sons which is into manufacture of agarbattis (incense sticks) since 1932.
- The Vietnam government is looking for honorary Consul generals for five states and this was the first one approved.
- The Vietnam Envoy said that they want to have a direct flight between Bangalore and Vietnam and also want to make Bangalore the hub for technology for Vietnam.
Task of the consul
The honorable consul is tasked with expanding the outreach of Vietnam’s embassy to the state of Karnataka and its capital city of Bengaluru, protecting the interest of Vietnamese nationals and companies, and promoting trade, economics, investment, tourism, educational, and cultural cooperation between Vietnam and the State of Karnataka.
India-Vietnam bilateral relations
- Recently, India and Vietnam released a joint vision document and a plan of action for bilateral engagements during 2021-23.
- India’s development and capacity building assistance to Vietnam cover initiatives such as Quick Impact Projects (QIPs), ITEC and e-ITEC initiatives, PhD fellowships, as well as projects in water resource management in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta region, SDGs, digital connectivity, and heritage conservation.
- India’s is currently implementing a $100-million defence line of credit for Vietnam.
- Relations between the two countries were elevated to the level of ‘Strategic Partnership’ during the visit of Vietnam’s Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung to India in July 2007.
- India is now the 8 th largest trading partner of Vietnam.
- On the other hand, Vietnam is the 4th largest trading partner of India among ASEAN countries after Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia.
- Vietnam is the 8th largest destination of India’s exports globally.
- Vietnam is also the second largest export destination for India after Singapore in the ASEAN region.
Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP):
- The year 2021 marks the fifth anniversary of CSP and in 2022 the two countries celebrate 50 years of creation of diplomatic ties.
- In 2016, during the Prime Minister’s visit to Vietnam, bilateral relations were further elevated to a “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership”, a status that Vietnam shares with only two other countries – Russia and China.