Source: ICAR & PIB
Recently the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare & Union Minister for Chemical and Fertilizers jointly inaugurated the Fertilizer Application Awareness Programme at Pusa in New Delhi. The event was organized jointly by both Ministries before Kharif and Rabi season each year with the help of State Governments.
The initiative aims to provide the farmers with the wise knowledge on the better use of fertilizers in their agricultural lands.
Why the program has been launched?
To disseminate knowledge to farmers on optimum usage of fertilizer nutrients based on various parameters to sustain agricultural productivity and to make farmers aware of new developments in the field of fertilizer usage and management
Dissemination of the programme
- The programme was Live Streamed through the various platforms like DD Kisan Channel, ICAR Website and Facebook Pages for the benefit of the farming community across the country.
- Besides this, more than 700 Krishi Vigyan Kendras also organized the Awareness Programme simultaneously for the progressive farmers at each KVK.
Issues with regard to usage of fertilizers
- Imbalance in the usage of major Plant Nutrients viz. N, P & K
- Non-awareness of usage and deficiency of Nutrients other than N-P-K required by Soil (micronutrients)
- Declining response ratio of the soil to the fertilizer application (Inefficiency of fertilizers)
- Agronomical importance of low analysis fertilizers like Single Super Phosphate
- Development of new types of fertilizers like liquid fertilizers, special compounds, bio-fertilizers, slow-release fertilizers, etc.
- Climatic zones, Soil types, quantity & method of fertilizers usage and suitability for crops
- Long-term sustainability of agriculture; and
- Use of Soil health cards to get the right amount and right type of fertilizers for each crop.
- The programmes aims at making the farmers aware about the wise use of various fertilizers in their agricultural lands. This would not only help to enhance the soil’s health but, also to yield good and healthy qualities of crops as well.
- The government’s aim to organize such types of programmes at each Block of the village. This would lead to enhance the soil and crop’s health. This, in turn, would help to achieve the target of doubling the farmers’ income.