Source: PIB and FASTag website
As per 2017 Gazette notification all vehicles under category M & N, sold after 1st of December 2017 are required to be fitted with FASTag by the manufacturer of the vehicle or its authorized dealer.
NHAI has rolled out program for Electronic Toll Collection on Toll Plazas on National Highways to be called FASTag.
What is FASTag?
- FASTag is a simple to use, reloadable tag which enables automatic deduction of toll charges and lets you pass through the toll plaza without stopping for the cash transaction.
- FASTag is linked to a prepaid account from which the applicable toll amount is deducted. The tag employs Radio-frequency Identification (RFID) technology and is affixed on the vehicle’s windscreen after the tag account is active
Key highlights about FASTag
- FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid account linked to it.
- It is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle and enables you to drive through toll plazas.
- FASTag has a validity of 5 years and after purchasing it, you only need to recharge/ top up the FASTag as per ones requirement.
- FASTag offers near non-stop movement of vehicles through toll plazas and the convenience of cashless payment of toll fee with nation-wide interoperable Electronic Toll Collection Services.
- To make availability widespread and maximizing existing vehicles to affix FASTags, Government has made it mandatory to affix FASTag for issuance of National Permit (N/P).
- A wide number of banks (22 numbers) have been certified to issue FASTag across the country. Further, bank neutral FASTag “NHAI FASTag” have been launched for easy availability at petrol-pump and on e-commerce site Amazon.
- FASTag is a perfect solution for a hassle free trip on national highways.
- Environmental benefit: Reduced air pollution, reduced use of paper
- Social benefit: Reduced toll payment hassles and provide analytics for better highway management
- Economic benefit: reduced effort in management at toll plaza