In news–Recently, the Supreme Court has introduced the Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records (FASTER) system.
In July, 2021, the Supreme Court bench, headed by the Chief Justice N V Ramana announced the plan to set up a system for swift and secure electronic transmission of its rulings to jail authorities so that prisoners who have been granted relief are not left waiting for a certified order copy in order to be released.
About FASTER system
- FASTER system proposes transmission of e-authenticated copies of the interim orders, stay orders, bail orders and record of proceedings to the duty-holders for compliance and due execution, through a secured electronic communication channel.
- The system is meant to ensure that undertrials are not made to wait for days on end behind bars to be released because the certified hard copies of their bail orders were late to reach the prison.
- The system would also prevent unnecessary arrests and custody of people even after the court has already granted them its protection.
- It may even communicate a stay on an execution ordered by the final court on time.
- The Rules and Handbook on Practice and Procedure of the Court enable the Registry to transmit a certified copy of the judgment or order either in physical or electronic form.