What is it?
Family Planning Logistic Management and Information System (FP-LMIS) is a dedicated software to ensure smooth forecasting, procurement and distribution of family planning commodities across all the levels of health facilities.
The Family Planning (FP) division, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has a mandate to ensure availability and monitoring of Family Planning commodities at all levels across the country. The Family planning commodities include Injectable contraceptives (MPA). Condoms, Oral contraceptive pills (OCP). Imre uterine contraceptive device (IUCD), Emergency contraceptive pills (ECP), Tubal rings and Pregnancy testing kits (PTK).
Supply chains often involve many different personnel, departments, suppliers/ agencies and procedures, hence managing Family Planning logistics becomes a complex task. It has been observed that the top down push system still prevails in the FP supply chain in many states. Moreover, the personnel at various levels lack skills on demand forecasting, inventory management and distribution processes leading to either overstocking or stock outs across many facilities.
Brief understanding on FP-LMIS
- As per the needs of the Family Planning programme, an innovative FP-LMIS has been developed to manage the supply chain operations, reduce the supply disparities and to regulate the flow of Family Planning supplies from the National level to the end users.
- FP-LMIS provides a common platform for effective supply chain management including forecasting and demand based supply.
- FP-LMIS enables the Program Management teams at all levels to easily identify stock situations to enable redistribution of FP commodities to meet clients’ needs and reduce losses through expiry of commodities.
- Additionally, data is available to authorized users throughout the supply chain process to assist Program Managers for quick and effective decision making.
Salient Features of FP-LMIS
- Web based, Mobile App based and Mobile SMS based application
- Instant access to stock information from National level to ASHA level
- Auto forecasting and auto information for Indenting of contraceptives
- Email notifications and Mobile SMS alerts for key indicators.
- Auto generated indicators and reports for program review.