- In order to promote manufacturing of electric and hybrid vehicle technology and to ensure sustainable growth of the same, Department of Heavy Industry is implementing FAME-India Scheme- Phase-I [Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India].
- The scheme was initially launched for up to 31st April 2017; has been extended up to 31st March, 2019 or till Notification of FAME-II, whichever is earlier.
- The Phase-II of the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles (FAME-India) Scheme proposes to give a push to electric vehicles (EVs) in public transport and seeks to encourage adoption of EVs by way of market creation and demand aggregation.
- The draft scheme envisages the holistic growth of EV industry, including providing for charging infrastructure, research and development of EV technologies and push towards greater indigenization. The scheme has not been finalized yet.
- Since inception of the scheme, several segments have been added to the scheme so as to ensure that more people take advantage of this scheme.
- In this spirit, support to fully electric buses have been added to the scheme to support electrification of public transport.
100 % FDI by automatic route is permitted in the automobile sector. Further, automobile sector is in deregulated sector and both private sector and public sector are free to carry out investment in the automobile sector, including for manufacturing of Electric Vehicles and E-Buses.