What is FAME?
- The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020 provides the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- As part of the NEMMP 2020, the Department of Heavy Industry formulated a Scheme viz. Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) Scheme in the year 2015 to promote manufacturing of electric and hybrid vehicle technology and to ensure sustainable growth of the same.
- The Phase-I of this Scheme was allowed up to 31st March 2019.
- The 1st Phase of FAME India Scheme was implemented through four focus areas namely- Demand Creation, Technology Platform, Pilot Project and Charging Infrastructure.
What is FAME-II?
- It is the phase-2 of FAME scheme.
- It has also been proposed to provide one slow-charging unit for every electric bus and one fast-charging station for 10 electric buses.
- It encourages interlinking of renewable energy sources with charging infrastructure.
- An incentive of 10,000 per kilowatt (kW) for two-, three- and four-wheelers, and 20,000 per kW for electric buses, will be offered as incentive.
- Only buses priced up to2 crore, strong and plug-in hybrids under 15 lakh, three-wheelers under class=5 lakh and two-wheelers under ₹1.5 lakh will be eligible for incentives.
- It will offer incentives to manufacturers of EVs also