In news– Russia has recently launched Vostok-2022, sweeping military drills in the country’s east, which will continue till 7 September.
- It is a large-scale Russian military exercise being held at the training grounds of the Eastern Military District of Russia.
- Activities in the exercise will include firepower exercises, joint field training exercises, and combat discussions and will take place at seven different locations.
- The military drill is aimed at coordination and interaction amongst the participating military contingents and observers.
- It will witness participation of more than 50 thousand soldiers from India, China, Laos, Mongolia, Nicaragua, Syria and former Soviet countries.
- It comprises land, air and sea components. However, India has decided to stay away from the maritime component.
- An Indian Army contingent of troops from 7/8 Gorkha Rifles is in Russia to participate in the multilateral strategic and command Exercise.
- Vladivostok is located in the far east of Russia on the Sea of Japan, hence it has expressed its opposition to this military exercise.
- Even the USA has objected to India’s participation amidst the war between Russia and Ukraine.
Some of the other exercises between India and Russia are- Indra, Exercise TSENTR, Exercise ZAPAD.