In news– The 15th edition of the biennial trilateral coast guard exercise ‘Dosti’ involving India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka is underway in the Maldives.
About Exercise Dosti-
- The aim of the exercise is to further fortify the friendship, enhance mutual operational capability, and exercise interoperability and to build cooperation between the coast guards of Maldives, India and Sri Lanka
- It was initiated in 1991 between the Indian and the Maldives’ coast guards.
- Sri Lanka joined the exercise for the first time in 2012.
- Year 2021 marked 30 years since the initiation of the exercise.
- Indian Coast Guard vessels, ICGS Vajra, ICGS Apoorva and, Sri Lanka Coast Guard, SLCGS Suraksha participated in it.
- Exercises carried out over the past 10 years have focused on drills on assisting with maritime accidents, eliminating sea pollution, and coast guard procedures and conduct during situations such as oil spills.