In news– A joint military exercise, “Exercise Dharma Guardian-2022”, between India and Japan is being held at Foreign Training Node, Belagavi (Belgaum, Karnataka) from 27 February 2022 to 10 March 2022.
About the exercise-
- It is an annual training event which has been conducted in India since 2018.
- The scope of this exercise covers platoon level joint training on operations in jungle and semi urban/urban terrain.
- Combat experienced troops of the 15th Battalion the MARATHA LIGHT INFANTRY Regiment of the Indian Army and 30th Infantry Regiment of Japanese Ground Self Defence Forces (JGSDF) are participating in the exercise this year.
- The 12 days long joint exercise schedule includes house interventions drills, raid on terrorist hideouts in semi urban terrain, combat first aid, unarmed combat & close quarter combat firing where both sides will jointly train, plan and execute a series of well-developed tactical drills for neutralisation of likely threats.
- India and Japan are two of the four members of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (the Quad), the other two being the United States and Australia.
- All four nations also participate in the naval wargaming exercise named Malabar.
- PASSEX (Passage Exercise) between Navies of two countries and SHINYUU Maitri are other joint exercises held between India and Japan.