In news- The “Enforcing Contracts Portal” was inaugurated by the Secretary (Justice) at the Department of Justice, Delhi.
- The Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) index of the World Bank is a ranking system which is an indication of an economy’s position relative to that of other economies across 11 areas of business regulation.
- The “Enforcing Contracts” indicator is one such essential area that measures time and cost to resolve a standardized commercial dispute as well as a series of good practices in the judiciary.
- The portal is envisioned to be a comprehensive source of information pertaining to the legislative and policy reforms being undertaken on the “Enforcing Contracts” parameters.
- It includes the latest data related to the functioning and disposal of commercial cases in the Dedicated Commercial Courts of Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata.
- It contains instructive videos related to e-filing, advocate registration; manuals on using the Electronic Case Management Tools(ECMTs) like JustIS app for judicial officers and e-Courts services app for use by lawyers and a repository of all related commercial laws for ready reference.
- The new portal also hosts online reporting by all High Courts regarding the Mediation and Arbitration centres in order to monitor and promote institutional mediation & arbitration by way of Pre-institution Mediation and Settlement (PIMS) of commercial cases.
- Currently, only the cities of Delhi and Mumbai are under the purview of the EoDB.
- Kolkata and Bengaluru are likely to be included in the Doing Business Report in future.