Executive Director of International Energy Agency (IEA) launches of the Energy Technology Perspectives 2020
What is it?
- Energy Technology Perspectives 2020 is a new study of IEA which focusses on the technology needs and opportunities for reaching international climate and sustainable energy goals
- It offers vital analysis and advice on the clean energy technologies the world needs to meet net-zero emissions objectives.
- The report’s comprehensive analysis maps out the technologies needed to tackle emissions in all parts of the energy sector, including areas where technological progress is still lacking such as long-distance transport and heavy industries.
What does the report say?
- It shows the amount of emissions reductions that are required from electrification, hydrogen, bioenergy and carbon capture, utilisation and storage.
- It also provides an assessment of emissions from existing infrastructure and what can be done to address them.
- This report analyses over 800 technology options to examine what would need to happen for the world to reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
- The report focuses primarily on the Sustainable Development Scenario, but it also includes a complementary Faster Innovation Case that explores the technology implications of reaching net-zero emissions globally by 2050.
- The analysis seeks to assess the challenges and opportunities associated with a rapid, clean energy transition.
- The report covers all areas of the energy system, from fuel transformation and power generation to aviation and steel production.