The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the Constitution of an empowered “Technology Group”.
Composition of the group
It will be a 12-Member Technology Group with the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India as its Chair.
The Technology Group will:
- Render the best possible advice on technology to be developed for a technology supplier and the technology procurement strategy
- Develop in-house expertise in aspects of policy and use of emerging technologies; and
- Ensure sustainability of public sector technology developed/being developed at PSUs, national labs and research organizations.
Implementation strategy and targets
The three pillars of the work of the Technology Group include:
- Policy Support
- Procurement Support; and
- Support on Research and Development proposals.
The Technology Group intends to ensure:
- That India has appropriate policies and strategies for effective, secure and context-sensitive exploitation of the latest technologies for economic growth and sustainable development of Indian Industry, in all sectors
- To advise the Government on priorities and strategies for research on emerging technologies across sectors
- To maintain an updated map of technology and technology products available, and being developed, across India
- To develop indigenization roadmap for selected key technologies
- To advise the Government on its technology supplier and procurement strategy
- To encourage all Ministries and Departments as well as State Governments to develop in-house expertise in policy and use aspects of emerging technologies such as data science and artificial intelligence, and to this end develop an approach to training and capacity building
- To formulate policies for sustainability of public sector technology at PSUs/Labs while encouraging cross-sector collaborations and research alliances with Universities and Private Companies; and
- To formulate standards and common vocabulary to apply in vetting proposals for R&D.