Source: PIB & Ministry of Home Affairs
It is an integrated emergency response system with a single emergency number 112, to address different emergencies of citizens. ERSS is designed to address all emergency signals received from citizens through voice calls, SMS, e-mail, panic SOS signal, ERSS web portal, etc.
- A mobile App called ‘112 India’ is introduced by Govt. of India, to quickly raise a request for help when a person is in an emergency, by pressing a button to send alert messages with location data and make an emergency call to 112. This facility will aid the concerned service agencies to reach out to the requestor quickly.
- The automated facility being set up for this purpose in the capital cities of all States and UTs, called Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), will handle all these emergency signals and provide assistance available to the people in distress within the best possible time with the help of Police, Fire & Rescue, Health services, etc.
- ERSS tracks the rescue and service vehicles of all services (Police, Fire, Health, etc) in real-time on a digital map of the State/UT and hence it will be possible to direct the right vehicle(s) to reach the service requestor and provide necessary support immediately.
- Henceforth, all the existing emergency numbers like 100 (police), 101 (Fire and Rescue) and 108 (ambulance), 181 (Woman and Child Care), etc. will be integrated to unified number 112.
- 24×7 Effective emergency response services for Citizens
- Citizens can request help through Voice Call, SOS, SMS, Email, Web Request, and Panic buttons.
- Automatic location identification of the caller/victim.
- Dynamic emergency response service from the nearest emergency response vehicle.
- Service from Police, Fire, Medical and Natural Disaster Management Teams.
- Emergency service coordination from a centralized control center in State capital/UTs.
- Improves decision making in an emergency situation which minimizes response time.
- Live tracking of emergency response vehicles.
- The totally ‘indigenous’ software solution developed by C-DAC.
When to use it?
An SOS alert can be activated anytime simply by pushing the power button when you feel your safety or the safety of another is in imminent danger. The exact location of the person in distress is forwarded to the Control Room of the state and the location of the victim is displayed on the GIS map of the city of a CallTaker.