Source: Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat portal
Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat was announced by the Prime Minister on 31st October 2015 on the occasion of the 140th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. Through this innovative measure, the knowledge of the culture, traditions, and practices of different states & UTs will lead to an enhanced understanding and bonding between the states, thereby strengthening the unity and integrity of India.
The Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat programme aims to actively enhance interaction between people of diverse cultures living in different States and UTs in India, with the objective of promoting greater mutual understanding amongst them.
What is it?
- To celebrate the unity in diversity of our nation and to maintain and strengthen the fabric of traditionally existing emotional bonds between the people of our country
- To promote the spirit of national integration through a deep and structured engagement between all states and union territories through a year-long planned engagement between states
- To showcase the rich heritage and culture, customs and traditions of either State for enabling people to understand and appreciate the diversity that is India, thus fostering a sense of common identity
- To establish long term engagements and
- To create an environment which promotes learning between States by sharing best practices and experiences.
Key themes for interaction
- To celebrate the idea of India as a nation wherein different cultural units across varied geographies coalesce and interact with each other, this glorious manifestation of diverse cuisine, music, dance, theatre, movies & films, handicrafts, sports, literature, festivals, painting, sculpture etc. will enable people to imbibe the innate chord of binding and brotherhood.
- To make our people aware about the seamless integral hull of the Modern Indian State spread across a landmass of 32 lakh sq. km, on whose firm foundations, the geo-political strength of the country is ensured benefitting one and all.
- To impress upon people at large about the increasing inter-connectedness between the constituents of various cultural & economic zones which is so vital for the spirit of nation-building.
- To induce a sense of responsibility & ownership for the nation as a whole through these close cross-cultural interactions as it intends to build up the inter-dependence matrix unequivocally.
- To further promote inter-state travel for boosting business activities of various hues.
- To create a learning ecosystem between the various stakeholders of the partnering states so that they benefit from the best practices of one another by establishing a State to State Connect.
Some key activities which have been communicated to States for taking up suitably under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat are given below and this is an indicative list:
- Translation of at least 5 Award-Winning Books, 5 award-winning songs of One State in the Language of Partnering State.
- Identification of proverbs having similar meaning in the languages of the two States and their translation and dissemination for interchangeable use.
- Cultural Exchange Programmes between partnering States with the help of troupes identified in the home State through Cultural Competitions.
- Exchange programme for Writers and poets etc. in the form of Literary Festivals.
- Culinary festivals with an opportunity to learn Culinary practices of partner State.
- Educational Tour by University Students reciprocally in the partnering States to bring out salient features of that State.
- Promotion of Home Stay culture for visitors from partnering States. etc