Engineering exporters’ body EEPC India and National Institute of Design have joined hands to promote designs and technology for the medical device industry.
- Dependence on complex medical devices for critical care is technology-centric and calls for a consistent focus on innovation and design.
- The move helps in meeting the emerging needs of the health sector, particularly in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
- The MSME Ministry has approved seven incubation ideas for the health sector under a special government scheme.
- The first design series is proposed for the medical sector and has been titled – ‘Post-COVID 19- Design Intervention for Medical Device Industry’.
- Engineering Export Promotion Council (EEPC) India is the apex body of engineering export organisations, accounting for over 25 percent of the country’s outward shipments.
- It is the premier trade and investment promotion organization, sponsored by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
- It acts as an interface between the engineering industry and the Government.
- It was set up in 1955 and now has a membership base of over 12,000 out of whom 60% are SMEs.