Why in news?
- By 2025, businesses can generate and store more than 75% of their data outside the conventional consolidated data centers, which are at the edge of the cloud. As the use of IoT systems grows and the need for IOT data to be processed rapidly increases, many IT administrators are exploring or are starting to use the most sophisticated computing technologies.
What is it?
- Edge computing allows data at the edge of a network to be analysed, processed and transmitted.
- It is intended, in real-time without latency, to analyse data locally, closer to where it is stored, and to send them to a center.
- Edge computing facilitates fast data processing and content distribution, whether you download a video or access a library of video games in the cloud.
How does edge computation vary from cloud calculation?
- The fundamental difference in the way data processing takes place between edge computing and cloud computing.
- Currently, the existing IoT systems are using data centers to perform all their cloud calculations.
- On the other hand, edge computing effectively manages the huge amount of data generated at IoT devices by local storage and processing of data.
- Data need not be sent over a network as soon as it is processed. Consequently, only important data are sent and the edge computing network reduces the number of data traveling through the network.
- Experts believe that when 5 G networks are mainstream in a year, the true potential of the edge computers is evident.
- Without even knowing it, apps can have continuous access.
- Nvidia has just unveiled the EGX edge computing platform, one of the biggest players in design and production of graphics and AI Acceleration hardware.
- This helps telecommunications operators to adopt 5 G networks that support cuttings.