In news– Two Indian projects were named among 15 finalists from hundreds of nominations across the world for the first-ever Earthshot Prize, launched by Britain’s Prince William last year.
About the two Indian projects-
Solar-powered ironing cart project-
- It is a project of a 14 year old schoolgirl Vinisha Umashankar from Tamil Nadu.
- She made the cut within the “Clean Our Air” category with her concept of a solar-powered clean alternative to the charcoal-powered street irons that press clothes for millions of Indians each day.
- Five hours of sunshine powers the iron for six hours.
Agricultural waste recycling concept-
- Vidyut Mohan’s social enterprise Takachar has developed a cheap, small-scale, portable technology that attaches to tractors in remote farms and converts crop residues into sellable bio-products like fuel and fertilizer.
- Takachar’s technology reduces smoke emissions by up to 98 per cent which will help improve the air quality that currently reduces the affected population’s life expectancy by up to five years.
They both will now receive tailored support and resources from the Earthshot Prize Global Alliance Members, a network of private sector businesses around the world who will help scale the shortlisted solutions.
About Earthshot Prize –
- The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history, designed to incentivise change and help repair our planet over the next ten years.
- The Prize aims to turn the current pessimism surrounding environmental issues into optimism, by highlighting the ability of human ingenuity to bring about change, and inspiring collective action.
- It also aims to mobilise collective action around our unique ability to innovate, problem solve and repair our planet.
- It is a prize awarded annually from 2021 to 2030, to five winners each year whose solutions substantially help the environment.
- The Prize is given by the Royal Foundation, headquartered in London, England.
- The award is distributed in five separate categories supported by the UN Sustainable Development Goals – Protect and Restore Nature; Clean our Air; Revive our Oceans; Build a Waste-free World; and Fix our Climate.
- The Earthshot Prize was launched in 2020 by Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and David Attenborough, with the support of a broad range of individuals and organizations dedicated to climate action.
- The winners are selected by the Earthshot Prize Council, a global team spanning six continents, including the Duke and Attenborough.
- The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on October 17 at Alexandra Palace in London.