Why in news?
The Earth Overshoot Day fell on 29th July 2019.
What is it?
- The day marks the date when humanity’s demand for ecological resources and services in a given year exceeds what the Earth can regenerate in that year.
- The first global Earth Overshoot Day campaign was held in 2006 by Andrew Simms of the UK think tank New Economics Foundation in partnership with Global Footprint Network.
- At that time, Earth Overshoot Day fell in October.
- World-Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), has participated in Earth Overshoot Day since 2007.
- ((Note: Global Footprint Network is an international non-profit organization founded in the year 2003. Its key strategy has been to make available robust Ecological Footprint data)).