In News: The Prime Minister held a video conference, During the conference, it was informed that the government is using eVIN – Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network in association with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) to identify primary beneficiaries and vaccine distribution networks.
What is eVIN?
- Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The eVIN is an innovative technological solution aimed at strengthening immunization supply chain systems across the country.
- This is being implemented under the National Health Mission (NHM) by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It aims to provide real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows, and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in the country.
- Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network gives real-time information by the process of digitising the vaccine stocks and keeps a check on the temperature of the cold chain through a smartphone application.
- The eVIN technology was initially launched in 2015 across 12 states of India in order to provide support for better vaccine logistics management at cold chain points.
Who will guide the vaccine introduction to all states/ UTs?
- The Centre has begun its preparations for introduction of Covid-19 vaccine and a National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration for Covid-19 (NEGVAC) has been formed as the highest group that will guide the strategies for vaccine introduction.