In news- The government launched the e-Shram portal, a database of unorganised sector workers on August 26.
About the e-Shram portal-
- The government aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers etc..
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12 digit unique number, which will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The registration of workers on the portal will be coordinated by the Labour Ministry, state governments, and trade unions.
- A national toll free number – 14434, will also be launched to assist and address the queries of workers seeking registration on the portal.
- A worker can register on the portal using his/her Aadhaar card number and bank account details, apart from filling other necessary details like date of birth, home town, mobile number and social category.
- Awareness campaigns would be planned across the country to enable nationwide registration of workers.