Source: Press Information Bureau
What is it?
National Agriculture Market (eNAM) is a pan-India electronic trading portal which networks the existing APMC mandis to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities.
Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC) is the lead agency for implementing eNAM under the aegis of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Government of India
To promote uniformity in agriculture marketing by streamlining of procedures across the integrated markets, removing the information asymmetry between buyers and sellers and promoting real time price discovery based on actual demand and supply
Integration of APMCs across the country through a common online market platform to facilitate pan-India trade in agriculture commodities, providing better price discovery through transparent auction process based on quality of produce along with timely online payment
Providing competitive and remunerative price to farmers for their produce through online competent bidding process
Other key highlights
- It was launched by the government of India in 2016.
- The eNam provides a single-window service for all APMC related services and information, such as commodity arrivals and prices, provision for responding to the trade offers, buy and sell trade offers, among other services
Six New features added by the Ministry
The Agriculture Ministry added following six new features to eNam to make it more user friendly;
- MIS dashboard for better analysis
- BHIM payment facility by traders
- Mobile payment facility by traders
- Enhanced features on mobile app such as gate entry and payment through mobile,
- Integration of farmer’s database and
- e-Learning module in e-NAM website
About Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC)
- It is an Autonomous Society promoted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare, Government of India. It was registered under Societies Registration Act of 1860 in January 1994
- The Society is governed by Board of Management which is chaired, ex-officio, by Hon’ble Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare as the President and the Secretary, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Government of India, is the ex-officio Vice-President.
- SFAC is implementing the central schemes of Government of India namely VCA, EGCGS for economic inclusion of small and marginal farmers in agribusiness activities.
- Society is pioneer in organising small and marginal farmers as Farmers Interest Groups, Farmers Producers Organisation and Farmers Producers Company for endowing them with bargaining power and economies of scale.
- It provides a platform for increased accessibility and cheaper availability of agricultural inputs to small and marginal farmers and in establishing forward and backward linkages in supply chain management. This initiative has triggered mobilization of farmers for aggregation across the country with the ultimate aim of sustainable business model and augmented incomes.
- Recently the Society has been entrusted with the task of implementation of the critically important Delhi Kisan Mandi and National Agriculture Market Scheme on e-platform to progressively free agricultural trade and offer price discovery to farmers