In news : The Defence Minister launched E-Chhawani portal and mobile app recently
About the E-Chhawani portal
- The portal has been created to provide online civic services to over 20 lakh residents of 62 Cantonment Boards across the country.
- As per the Minister, the E-Chhawani portal is a big step in to promoting good governance and ease of living for the people
- The portal will ensure effectiveness and transparency of the services distribution system of the Cantonment Boards and provide time-bound solutions to the residents.
- It is an an innovative effort to transform the functioning of Cantonment Boards, in line with the vision of ‘New India’
What are services offered by the portal?
Through the portal, the residents of cantonment areas will be able to avail basic services like renewal of leases, application for birth & death certificates, water & sewerage connections, trade licences, mobile toilet locators and payment of different types of taxes and fees, with just a click of a button. The portal provides a platform to the residents to avail these services from the comfort of their home.
Who developed it?
The portal is jointly developed by eGov Foundation, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE) and National Informatics Centre (NIC)
This foundation started by working in the trenches of wards and ULBs of Karnataka in 2003 to understand problems on ground and how Digital Platform can help in making cities better
Over the 17 years the foundation has worked with 14 states in more than 1000 ULBs across India to ensure that every citizen in every city of India should be able to access all services they need with ease and transparency.
Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE)
- It is the Headquarters of the Indian Defence Estates Service.
- DGDE provides advisory inputs on all Cantonments and Land matters to the Ministry of Defence and Service Headquarters i.e. Army, Navy, Air Force and other organizations under Ministry of Defence.
- Acquisition of lands, Resettlement and Rehabilitation of displaced persons, Hiring and requisitioning of lands and buildings, are some of the responsibilities of DGDE.
- It also ensures implementation of Cantonments Act 2006, Policies, Rules & Regulations and Executive instructions.