In news- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the E-100 pilot project in Pune to mark the World Environment Day. The theme for this year’s event is ‘promotion of biofuels for a better environment’. The ‘Report of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025’ was released.
About the project-
- It aims to set up a network for production and distribution of ethanol across the nation.
- Government has resolved to meet the target of 20 percent ethanol blending in petrol by 2025.
- Earlier the resolve was to achieve the target by 2030 which is now preponed by 5 years.
- Till now, on an average, 8.5 percent of ethanol could be blended in India.
- Most of the ethanol manufacturing units are mostly concentrated in 4-5 sugar producing states and hence now foodgrain-based distilleries are being established to expand ethanol production.
More information- Ethanol Blending – JournalsOfIndia