Why it is news?
Recently, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change have extended the timeline to invite comments on it by another month i.e. till 24.09.2019.
Objective: The Policy seeks to enable efficient use of natural resources and promote up-cycling of wastes across all sectors of the economy. It aims to achieve India’s commitments under the UN Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
Ministry: Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate
- The Draft National Resource Efficiency Policy (NREP) envisions a future with environmentally sustainable and equitable economic growth, resource security, healthy environment (air, water and land), and restored ecosystems with rich ecology and biodiversity.
- The Draft National Resource Efficiency Policy is guided by the principles of
- reduction in primary resource consumption to ‘sustainable’ levels, in keeping with achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and staying within the planetary boundaries
- creation of higher value with less material through resource efficient and circular approaches
- waste minimization
- material security, and creation of employment opportunities and business models beneficial to the cause of environment protection and restoration.