In news :The department of space (DoS), as part of a series of new policy initiatives, has prepared a draft “Human Space Policy-2021 and released it for public suggestions
The draft “Human Space Policy-2021
Scope of the policy
The policy framework given in this document is applicable to activities presently postulated under Indian human space program (IHSP) and for those activities which shall be defined and carried out in future in conjunction with IHSP
Humans in Space policy 2021;
The Department of Space shall govern and undertake the activities under Indian human space programme under the following policy principle: “The Humans in Space Policy aims for sustained human presence in space as an instrument for development, innovation and foster collaborations in alignment with national interests.”
Authorisation & Execution;
- DoS/lSRO with a mandate to carry out space activities in India is tasked with execution of activities of Indian human space programme.
- DoS/lSRO shall issue appropriate guidelines, including approval-mechanism from time-to-time for the activities under Indian human space programme in conformation with extant Space Act of India and policy.
- The guidelines and procedures supporting the Humans in Space Policy 2021 will be issued separately as part of the policy document.
- This “Humans in Space Policy 2021” shall take effect upon approval of the Union Cabinet of India
In pursuance of the Humans in Space Policy 2021, Department of space shall
- Demonstrate human space flight capability leveraging the expertise of ISRO, national research institutions, academia, industry and other organisations.
- Define long-term road map for sustained human presence in low earth orbit and undertaking exploration missions beyond low earth orbit.
- Identify and develop necessary technologies for enabling sustained presence of humans in low earth orbit and beyond
- Constitute a suitable mechanism to enable participation of various national stakeholders in Indian human space programme
- Define and develop a comprehensive collaborative framework for scientific research in domains linked to human space activities keeping in mind the national priorities.
- Foster International cooperation and evolve collaborative programs of mutual interest
- Strive for human resource development, and encourage entrepreneurship