About Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR)
- The Directorate General of Trade Remedies (earlier known as Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied Duties) was named in May 2018 as an integrated single window agency for providing comprehensive and swift trade defence mechanism in India.
- Earlier, the Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) dealt with anti-dumping and CVD cases, Directorate General of Safeguards (DGS) dealt with safeguard measures and DGFT dealt with quantitative restriction (QR) safeguards.
- The DGTR brings DGAD, DGS and Safeguards (QR) functions of DGFT into its fold by merging them into one single national entity. DGTR now deals with Anti-dumping, CVD and Safeguard measures.
- It also provides trade defence support to our domestic industry and exporters in dealing with increasing instances of trade remedy investigations instituted against them by other countries.
- DGTR provides a level playing field to the domestic industry against the adverse impact of the unfair trade practices like dumping and actionable subsidies from any exporting country, by using Trade Remedial methods under relevant framework of WTO arrangements, Customs Tariff Act & Rules and other relevant laws and International agreements, in a transparent and time bound manner.
- DGTR functions as an attached office of the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is a professionally integrated organisation with multi-spectrum skill sets emanating from officers drawn from different services and specialisations.
- Protecting sensitive sectors of the Indian economy against the adverse impact of the trade liberalization like dumping and subsidy from any exporting country, by way of carrying out investigations in a transparent and time bound manner to remove trade distortive effects to the domestic industry under Customs Tariff Act and WTO framework by way of recommending imposition of anti-dumping duty/countervailing duty to the GOI.
- Conducting anti-dumping investigations and recommendation to GoI.
- Conducting anti-subsidy/CVD investigations and recommendation to GoI.
- Conducting safeguard investigations and recommendation to GoI
- Handling Litigation matters before CESTAT, High Courts and Supreme Court of India.
- Conducting Outreach programmes to create and spread conceptual awareness and explain the working of DGTR
- Exchange of information with WTO.