Recently, an Inter-State fake invoice racket with fake transactions valued at over Rs. 131 Crore was busted by the officers DGGI, Nagpur Zonal Unit
About Directorate General of GST Intelligence (DGGI)
- Erstwhile Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence (DGCEI), now renamed as Directorate General of GST Intelligence (DGGI), is an apex intelligence organization functioning under the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance
- It is entrusted with the task of collection, collation and dissemination of intelligence relating to evasion of Goods and Services Tax (GST) and duties of Central Excise and Service Tax on an all India basis.
- It was earlier known as Directorate General of Anti-Evasion (DGAE).
- It was established in the year 1979 as an independent wing under the control of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, New Delhi with the Regional Units located at Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai.
- It became a full-fledged Directorate in 1983, headed by a Director.
- In 1988, the Directorate was upgraded to Directorate General under a Director General with four Zonal Units located at Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai, headed by Additional Director Generals.
- It was expanded in the year 2000 with the setting up of a number of Regional Units under the respective Zonal Units and was renamed as DGCEI. Directorate General was further strengthened in the year 2002 with the addition of two more Zonal Units at Ahmedabad and Bengaluru.
- In 2004, Directorate General was entrusted with the work of detecting cases of evasion of Service Tax also.
Role of DGGI
- The role of the Directorate General in tackling the menace of duty evasion is manifolds.
- It develops intelligence, especially in new areas of tax evasion through its intelligence network across the country and disseminates such information, by issuing Modus Operandi Circulars and Alert Circulars to sensitize the field formations about the latest trends in duty evasion.
- Wherever found necessary, this Directorate General, on its own or in co-ordination with field formations, organizes operations to unearth evasion of GST, Central Excise Duty and Service Tax.