Union Minister of state for Shipping re-launched the development of Indigenous Software solution for Vessel traffic services (VTS) and Vessels Traffic Monitoring Systems (VTMS)
About the software
VTS and VTMS is software which determines vessel positions, the position of other traffic or meteorological hazard warnings, and extensive management of traffic within a port or waterway.
Vessel traffic services (VTS) & its significance
- VTS contributes to the safety of life at sea, safety, and efficiency of navigation, and protection of the marine environment, adjacent shore areas, worksites, and offshore installations from possible adverse effects of maritime traffic.
- Presently, India has approximately 15 VTS systems operational along the Indian Coast and there is no uniformity of VTS software as each system has its own VTS software
- Development of the indigenous VTS software will reduce the expenditure of foreign exchange on this issue and also minimize the dependence on foreign support for VTS software.
- Accordingly, indigenous development of VTS software will benefit with respect to:
- Saving of foreign exchange for various VTSs in India.
- VTS Software can be provided to Indian trade-friendly nations viz. Maldives, Mauritius, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Bangladesh, and Gulf countries.
- Will also minimize the cost for future upgradations of software.
- Shall be easier to interconnect with MIS/ERP software of ports.
- Availability of Indian VTS software shall make Indian companies to be competitive commercially in global bids.
Vessels Traffic Monitoring Systems (VTMS) and its significance
- VTMS is installed in some of the busiest waters in the world and are making valuable contributions to safer navigation, more efficient traffic flow, and protection of the environment.
- Incidents and emergency situations can be dealt with quickly.
- Data from traffic movements can be stored and used as reference information for port administration, port authorities, coastguards and search and rescue services.
- VTMS is mandatory under the IMO Convention SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea).
- The VTMS traffic image is compiled and collected by means of advanced sensors such as radar, AIS, direction finding, CCTV and VHF, or other co-operative systems and services.
- A modern VTMS integrates all of the information into a single operator working environment for ease of use and in order to allow for effective traffic organization and communication.