About Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE)
- Formation: DARE was established in the Ministry of Agriculture in December, 1973.
- Ministry: Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
- DARE provides the necessary government linkages for the ICAR, the premier research organisation for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
- With over 97 ICAR institutes, 53 agricultural universities, 6 Bureaux, 18 National Research Centres, 25 Project Directorates, and 89 All India Coordinated Research Projects spread across the country this is one of the largest national agricultural research systems in the world.
- DARE is the nodal agency for International Cooperation in the area of agricultural research and education in India.
- The Department liaises with foreign governments, UN, CGIAR and other multilateral agencies for cooperation in various areas of agricultural research.
- DARE also coordinates admissions of foreign students in various Indian agriculture universities/ ICAR Institutes.
Autonomous bodies under DARE: It coordinates and promotes agricultural research & education in the country. It has the following four autonomous bodies under its administrative control:
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Central Agricultural University (CAU), Imphal
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University, Pusa, Bihar
- Rani Laxmi Bai Central Agricultural University, Jhansi, UP
Other organizations under DARE are:
- Agrinnovate India Limited
- Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB Attached Office)
- Indian Agricultural Universities Association (IAUA)
- The National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
Major functions of DARE
Following are the major functions of DARE:
- To look after all aspects of agricultural research and Education (including horticulture, natural resources management, agriculture engineering, agricultural extension, animal science, economic statistics and marketing and fisheries) involving coordination between the central and state agencies.
- To attend all matters relating toICAR
- To attend all matters concerning the development of new technology in agriculture, horticulture, natural resources management, agriculture engineering, agricultural extension, animal science, economic statistics and marketing and fisheries, including such functions as plant and animal introduction and exploration and soil and land use survey and planning.
- International co-operation in the field of agricultural research and education including relations with foreign and international agricultural research and educational institutions and organizations, including participation in international conferences, associations and other bodies dealing with agricultural research and education and follow-up decisions at such international conferences etc.
- Fundamental, applied and operational research and higher education including co-ordination of such research and higher education in agriculture including agro forestry, animal husbandry, dairying, fisheries, agricultural statistics, economics and marketing.