Recently the defence Minister handed over three indigenously developed Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) systems to Army, Navy and Air Force at a function held in DRDO Bhawan.
What are those systems developed by DRDO?
The Raksha Mantri handed over the following systems
- Indian Maritime Situational Awareness System (IMSAS) to the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh
- ASTRA Mk-I Missile to Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria and
- Border Surveillance System (BOSS) to the Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane.
Border Surveillance System (BOSS)
- An all-weather electronic surveillance system successfully designed and developed by Instruments Research & Development Establishment (IRDE), Dehradun.
- The system has been deployed at Ladakh border area for day and night surveillance.
- The system facilitates monitoring and surveillance by automatically detecting the intrusions in harsh high-altitude sub-zero temperature areas with remote operation capability.
- The system is being produced by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Machlipatnam.
Indian Maritime Situational Awareness System (IMSAS)
- The IMSAS is state-of-the-art, fully indigenous, high performance intelligent software system that provide Global Maritime Situational Picture, Marine planning tools and Analytical capabilities to Indian Navy.
- The system provides Maritime Operational Picture from Naval HQ to each individual ship in sea to enable Naval Command and control (C2).
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence & Robotics (CAIR), Bengaluru and Indian Navy has jointly conceptualised and developed the product and the BEL, Bengaluru has implemented it.
ASTRA Mk-I Missile
- It is the indigenously developed first Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Missile, which can be launched from Sukhoi-30, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Mig-29 and Mig-29K.
- Globally, very few countries have expertise and capabilities to design and produce this class of weapon system.
- The successful development of ASTRA weapon system by Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL) Hyderabad & production by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), Hyderabad is a major contribution towards ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’.