DARPAN-Digital Advancement of Rural Post Office for A New India
Source: Press Information Bureau
- DARPAN is an Information Technology (IT) modernization project aimed to improve the quality of service, add value to services and achieve “financial inclusion” of the un-banked rural population
- Goal: To provide a low power technology solution to each Branch Postmaster (BPM) which will enable each of approximately 1.29 Lakhs Branch Post Offices (BOs) to improve the level of services being offered to rural customers across all the states.
- Wider reach to the Indian populace through more customer interaction channels
- Better customer service
- IT enablement of business processes and support functions
- The vision of DARPAN Project is as under:
- To increase the rural reach of the Department of Posts and enable EDOs to increase traffic of all financial remittances, savings accounts, Rural Postal Life Insurance, and Cash Certificate
- Improve mail operations processes by allowing for automated booking and delivery of accountable article; increase revenue using retail post business
- Provide third party applications a platform for rural reach
- Make disbursements for social security schemes such as MGNREGS etc.
- As part of IT modernization project, the Department of Posts (DoP) has carried out business process reengineering across various functional areas and has created To-Be processes that will enable it to achieve these objectives.
- Benefits to citizens:
- Provide banking solutions to the un-bank rural population
- CBS solutions – deposit and withdraw from anywhere
- Ease of deposit and withdrawal and real-time account update
- Rural postal life insurance would be available to the citizens in the last mile of the country
- Other postal services as eMO just in hours (online Bos) in any part of the country
- Disbursal of govt. schemes as MNREGS, Old age Pension
- Any other government schemes in future h. Speed post booking from their next door