Why in news?
- Jammu and Kashmir authorities launched the first anti-poaching boat for the safety of winter migratory birds in Dal Lake. It aims to control poaching of birds which have been continuously under the threat of poachers.
About the lake
- Dal Lake is the second largest lake in the state and is known as the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is named the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”.
- The lake is located in the Zabarwan mountain valley, in the foothills of the Shankaracharya hills, which surround it on three sides.
- The lake is an important source for commercial operations in fishing and water plant harvesting.
- The lake has four main interconnected basins namely Hazratbal, Bod dal, Gagribal and Nagin.
- It also serves as a flood lung of the Jhelum River.