In news: The Taliban have captured Dahla dam after clashes erupted in Helmand province days after the US military formally began withdrawing its remaining troops from Afghanistan.
About Dahla dam-
- The Dahla Dam, also known as Arghandab Dam, is located in the Shah Wali Kot District of Kandahar Province in Afghanistan.
- It is Afghanistan’s second-biggest dam (Naghlu dam is the biggest).
- It was originally built between 1950 and 1952 when relations between Afghanistan and the United States were beginning to quickly develop.
- The purpose of the dam was to help farmers for irrigation in Kandahar Province and provide clean drinking water to the city of Kandahar.
- In 2019 the Asian Development Bank approved a grant of nearly $350 million to be used partly to expand the reservoir-style project.
- It is an embankment structure made of earth and rock fill.