In news– Under the CCPWC Scheme, financial assistance has been provided to all State/UTs for setting up of cyber forensic cum training laboratories, capacity building of Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs), public prosecutors and judicial officers.
About the CCPWC Scheme-
This scheme was formulated by the Ministry of Home Affairs to have an effective mechanism to handle cybercrimes against women and children in the country.
Components under the scheme are-
- Online Cyber Crime reporting Unit.
- Forensic Unit.
- Capacity Building Unit.
- Research & development Unit.
- Awareness Creation Unit.
Online Cybercrime Reporting Unit-
- It is a central citizen portal of the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS) project.
- Using this portal, an online cyber-crime complaint can be made by the victims of cyber-crime.
- It provides a central repository for all such crimes, which will be used for publishing an annual analytical report regarding cyber-crimes, their trends and remedial measures etc.
- It provides a central repository for reference to law enforcement and regulatory agencies at the national, state and local level for cyber-crime related information.
- It is responsible for development of an online cyber-crime reporting platform, publishing periodic analytical reports covering trends of cyber-crime, defining process flows for handling online complaints field by citizens and also responsible for assigning such complaints to the appropriate law enforcement agencies based on jurisdiction in the states/ UTs or to any central agency having jurisdiction for criminal investigation.
- It works closely with the forensic unit for all digital investigations at the centre as well as at designated state forensic laboratories.
- Proper collection and preserving of evidence related to cyber-crime and its analysis in line with the provisions of the IT Act and evidence Act is of utmost importance.
- This unit includes a team of cyber security professionals to carry out vivid types of electronics forensic analysis and assist the law enforcement agencies in electronic forensic analysis across the country.
Capacity Building Unit-
- This unit supports capacity building of Central and State Police Forces, Prosecutors, Judicial officers and all other concerned stakeholders for all required capabilities like detection, investigations, forensic etc.
- This unit also assists the state/ UTs officials in taking up long term courses to enhance the expertise in this area.
Research and Development Unit-
- In order to develop effective tools to detect obscene and objectionable content in the cyber space, a continuous refining is needed.
- As part of research and development activities multiple Centres of Excellence (COE) will be developed in the country.
Awareness Creation Unit-
- Awareness about cybercrime and cyber hygiene is introduced in schools in the early stages of education as a component of school curriculum.
- These awareness communications are delivered via a web portal and mobile apps.